Monday, August 17, 2009

Vaccine Update...

I forgot to inform those of you who were wondering about the choice we made about vaccinations...

I never wanted to NOT vaccinate, so to speak. My only issue is that I felt that 6 shots at once, given to an infant barely capable of holding their head up let alone process foreign viruses, was too much, too many, too soon.

I did what my doctor told me to do and went to the CDC's website. Looking at different shot schedules for her age and what I call the loop-holes found within, I made her a different shot schedule that only allows for no more than 2 shots at one time - many of which can be post-poned until she's either in a daycare setting, school or both. Why give a small infant three shots at 2, 4 and 6 months of age, when you can give them one at 19 months and it's just as effective...not to mention approved by the CDC? Isn't that more rational? I wish I would have known that a newborn baby born to a mother who herself has been vaccinated against Hep B and obviously does not have the disease does not need a Hep B shot. I got mine in college...why does a NEWBORN need the shot? Again, it's not about the SHOT aspect of it. It's really not. It's about what's in the shot and whether a small baby can process it. I just think there's too many to be honest. Too many too soon. If there's a way of spreading them out with the same benefit but less risk for her and her future, then I'm gonna find it. Frankly, I think her body will process it better when there's less to deal with at once. And why is the regular flu shot not recommended until the child is 12 months or older but this H1N1 vaccine is now available for 6 months? I don't know, but I know that I will never walk into a situation regarding my child and her health ever again. I love to research too much and come to my own conclusions. It's the scientist and educator in me, I guess.

Her appointment is tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment